Now that you have a new beautiful smile, let’s work together to keep it that way! You have been fitted with RETAINERS that holds or retains your teeth in their position. It is VERY important that you wear your retainers as instructed or your teeth will SHIFT BACK towards their original position! These are made of durable plastic, but should be handled with care to avoid breakage.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Your teeth may be uncomfortable for 1-2 days, similar to when your Braces on Invisalign trays were adjusted.
- Speech may be affected temporarily as you adapt to wearing them. A fine nail file may be used to smooth rough or irritating edges.
- Wear your retainers 20-22 hours per day for the first 6 months after your treatment is completed. After 6 months the retainers can be worn to bed only (8 hrs). Think of them as pyjamas for your teeth.
- Keep your retainers clean using a toothbrush with room temperature water on a daily basis.
- Keep your retainers in the case provided when not being worn.
- Pets will destroy your retainers!! Keep them out of their reach.
- Excessive heat will warp and ruin your retainers, so don’t leave them in the car on a hot day or place them near a hot surface.
- If you are sick, soaking your retainers in salt water may reduce the chance of infection.
- Bring your retainers to each appointment. If your retainers are LOST, BROKEN, or DON’T FIT CORRECTLY, call immediately to assess for a replacement retainer to keep your smile looking great!
- There is a charge for broken or lost retainers or for replacing retainers that do not fit properly due to not wearing them as directed. It’s your responsibility to call the office to inform as soon as possible.
Congratulations on your new, beautiful smile!